Zoodles, what is this?
Zoodles are just a culinary trompe l’oeil. They are vegetables, especially carrots and zucchini, cut in such a way that they seem spaghetti or noodles, hence its name. Zoodles phenomenon began earlier this year in social networks and its delicious taste and fun look have done the rest.
Some people call them “the new carbohydrates”, and not only for its visual or aesthetic resemblance to the traditional spaghetti pasta, but also by the way they are usually cooked. Even so, being a perfect alternative for those who have difficulty eating vegetables, we should not think they can replace cereals. They should be complementary to them. While cereals (better always to have them whole) are more appropriate for lunch due to the energy input, Zoodles are perfect light dinner to sleep well, for those looking to lose some weight or to get kids to eat vegetables in a more attractive way.
How to prepare Zoodles?
Zoodles can be prepared in two different ways:
- With a vegetable peeler, making strips.
- With an spiralizer. It’s really is the quickest and easiest way. You can find spiralizers on sites like Amazon or cookware stores for a good price.
- The most common are the zucchini and carrot Zoodles.
- You can leave them raw or cook them slightly, introducing them in boiling water for a minute or two to make them softer and to achieve a pasta effect. For carrots it is very advisable, since it is a hard vegetable.
- They can be prepared in salads with arugula for example, or cooked with pesto sauce, with nuts or avocado sauce.
There are like a million zoodles recipes available on the Internet!
Why not trying this trendy and original dish?