Orange Pecan Vegan Pancakes Recipe
Today’s recipe is just perfect to surprise your family with a fabulous weekend breakfast. It’s a Vegan Pancakes Recipe with orange and pecan, with a special flavour, a unique texture and 100% healthy! Let’s start!
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (stone-ground, if possible)
- 1/4 oat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 1 tsp finely-grated (organic) orange zest
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- ½ cup finely-chopped toasted pecans
- Maple syrup or rice syrup
1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, oat flour, baking powder and salt well.
2. Add the orange juice, zest and water. Stir briefly, just to mix—lumps are okay. (This batter is a little runnier than ordinary pancake batter—the cornmeal really sucks up the liquid as it cooks.) Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, warm the frying pan on a high heat for 10 seconds. Add a few drops of water to the pan and if they dance about and evaporate, it is ready.
4. Add the oil and heat for another ten seconds.
5. Using a ladle, drop a small amount of the pancake mixture into the frying pan to form small circles of batter. I like to make small pancakes, no larger than 4” across – vegan pancakes seem to cook better this way.
6. Add another pancake if you have space.
7. Turn the heat to medium.
8. Fry over a medium heat and wait until bubbles appear in the batter.
9. Turn the pancakes over and fry a further minute.
Don’t overcook! They should still be quite puffy when they are ready. If you overcook them, they’ll go flat and won’t be as light and spongy as they should be. Serve hot immediately with maple syrup and toasted pecans.
If you’d like to learn more recipes like this have a look to The Chef’s Studio healthy cooking classes.