Vegan Jota Recipe
Our Nutrition expert, Melanie Waxman, has shared this vegan recipe from the typical stew known as “Jota”. Jota is a nourishing bean stew from the northern Adriatic region. It usually has some meat and includes sauerkraut. However, this vegan version is rejuvenating and provides a lovely kick of energy. Don’t hesitate to try this recipe that tastes great too!
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 sweet potato cut into small chunks
- 1 strip kombu rinsed
- 1 tablespoon shoyu
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1 cup white beans soaked overnight in water
- Cilantro for garnish
- Warm the oil in a large pan and add the onions and garlic. Sautee for a few minutes.
- Layer the celery, sweet potatoes, carrots, and then the beans on top of the onions and garlic.
- Add enough wáter to just cover the beans. Pop in a strip of kombu.
- Bring to a boíl on a médium flame and then simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until the beans are soft.
- Mix gently and season with salt and shoyu.
- Add the sauerkraut and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Mix again and serve with chopped cilantro.