Tofu Summer Rolls Recipe
Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all eight essential amino acids. Melanie Waxman, our Nutrition Expert, has shared this delicious Tofu Summer Rolls Recipe.
- 1 small carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1 small cucumber peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup grated raw beets
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 8 large fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 packet rice paper wrappers
- ½ block firm tofu cut into small cubes
- 1-2 teaspoons umeboshi vinegar
- Olive or sesame oil
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar free crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- ¼ cup spring water
- Place the vegetables, herbs and tofu in separate bowls
- Sprinkle the tofu with the umeboshi vinegar and a dash of olive oil. Mix gently and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Place a slightly damp, clean dish towel on top of a cutting board.
- Dip 1 rice paper wrapper in a bowl of warm wáter for about 10 seconds.
- Place the wrapper on the dish towel.
- Place a few pieces of tofu on the end nearest to you.
- Top with some vegetables and the herbs
- Fold in the sides of the wrapper and then roll up to make a roll.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the wrappers, tofu, herbs and veggies.
For the sauce
- Mix all the ingredients in a cup with a fork. Add enough wáter to make it smooth and creamy.
- Serve in a small bowl with the tofu wraps.