Tofu Burgers Recipe
You don’t have to give up burgers, just change some ingredients until you get this healthy tofu burgers recipe, which is really easy to prepare!
- 1 x 340 g block firm tofu drained, patted dry and cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 1⁄4 cup seeded and diced sweet peppers (any colour)
- ½ cup coarsely ground toasted walnuts or almonds
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1⁄8 cup tahini paste
- 1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsps fresh ginger grated
1. Wrap tofu in doubled dish towel. Place on work surface. Weigh down with a board topped with food cans or weights for 1 hour. Squeeze towel-wrapped tofu to extract as much liquid as possible from tofu. Transfer tofu to medium bowl. Using fork, mash into small pieces.
2. Warm the oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onions, sprinkle with the salt and oregano, and cook over a low heat for 7 – 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots and peppers and cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
3. Crumble the tofu and add to the bowl of cooked vegetables along with the walnuts, soy sauce, mustard, sesame oil, tahini, pepper, and basil. Mix well and add more soy sauce to taste.
4. Shape mixture into four ½-inch-thick patties. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
5. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the patties until golden brown and heated through (about three minutes on each side).
We hope you liked this healthy tofu burgers recipe and dare to prepare it at home! We would love to read your comments about it!