The incredible benefits of cacao
Did you know that cacao is a superfood? It’s considered to be the “food of the gods” as it has an extraordinary nutritional content. However, we’re used to having it in chocolates that are full of sugars and unhealthy ingredients. But, if you eat it in its raw form, it’s very beneficial for the health.
It’s important that the cacao is organic and raw. This way, all of its nutritional content is bursting and vibrant.
On a nutritional level, cacao is rich in:
- Contains 20 times more antioxidants than blueberries
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5 and B9
- Vitamin A
So, what benefits does this superfood have?
- It contains anandamide, a molecule that improves mood, giving a sense of euphoria.
- Another component of cacao that improves mood is phenethylamine. It provokes a release of endorphins and other feel-good neurotransmitters. These are neurotransmitters that are segregated naturally when we are in love or during sexual activity. The only other food that contains this component are blue algae, like spirulina.
- These components also improve libido.
- Balance hormones, avoiding mood changes that women experience at certain times of the month.
- Protects the heart and prevents cardiovascular diseases. Cacao is rich in flavanols, an anti-inflammatory antioxidant that protects the heart from cardiovascular diseases, reducing the risk of stroke and improving blood circulation. Tip: If you have circulation problems, or you have very cold hands and feet in winter, have a tablespoon of cacao to improve your circulation.
- Prevents premature aging, as it is rich in antioxidants.
- Prevents blood clots as cacao thins the blood. You can replace aspirin with cacao if you suffer from thrombosis or varicose veins.
- Boosts energy and combats fatigue. It’s one of the richest sources of magnesium, an essential mineral for health.
- Decreases blood pressure.
- Gives shiny hair, strengthens nails and gives glowing skin.
These are some of the many benefits of cacao…the list goes on! It’s a very complete food that provides a rich variety of nutrients for the body.
How do you include it in your diet?
- Add a tablespoon in porridge
- Add a tablespoon in smoothie bowls
- Add a tablespoon to smoothies
- Use as a substitute to chocolate in desserts
- Add a tablespoon (or two!) to hot plant-based milk, with a teaspoon of rice malt syrup to give it a sweet touch. A healthy delicious hot chocolate!
Where can you buy it?
- You need to get a cacao that is both raw and organic. You can find them in health stores and organic supermarkets.
Now that you know all the benefits that cacao has, include this superfood in your diet! You’ll love it and you’ll notice all the health benefits for yourself!