The importance of breakfast
Many people don’t feel hungry when they wake up even if they almost didn’t eat the night before. Their body needs some time to re-start and feel hungry, that’s why they just have a coffe, juice or a couple of cookies for breakfast. Altough, skipping breakfast is not a good option and it brings bad consequences throughout the day.
Nutritionists try to aware of the importance of a good breakfast because when the brain doesn’t have enough energy to work well, we have a lack of memory, energy and concentration and bad mood.
In addition, those who usually eat a healthy breakfast usually keep their weight unlike those who usually skip it or just eat a little. This is because our body takes 8 to 10 hours without any food so the calorie intake at first hour of the day helps us distribute the foods in 4 or 5 servings daily, avoiding snacking between meals.
What should a balanced breakfast include?
The first meal of the day should be easily digestible and nutritious enough to stimulate energy levels. It should represent between 20% and 25% of the calories you eat during the day. It’s important that it is well balanced in order to get the essential nutrients. A hearty breakfast will only make you feel unmotivated and sleepy. So we recommend including:
- Whole grains. They are a balanced source of fiber and provide the neccesary energy, vitamins and minerals for the rest of the day. The best way to consume them is cooked as they help maintain body heat. They are easy to digest, improve concentration and maintain blood sugar levels. You can eat them as porridge with fruit.
- Fruits and Juices. They provide water, vitamins and minerals. Combine different fruits and vegetables to make natural juices. Check out our Esenza range of natural juices that are delicious and healthy at the same time. Remember it’s important to keep the pulp because it’s the source of nutrients and fiber.
- Boiled rice. It’s a good cereal to start the day because it’s easy to digest and more relaxing than dry cereals. You can add umeboshi because it’s a perfect energizing for digestive disorders and it’s great for fighting fatigue and weakness.
- Quick breakfasts. In case you are in a hurry, help yourself with a simple breakfast that you can prepare the night before and eat on your way to work. Take note of some recomendations:
– Dehydrated fruit
– Unsweetened muesli bar with oar milk/rice
– A piece of fresh fruit
– Unsweetened whole grain bars
– Corn pancakes with hummus
– Soy yoghurt
– A piece of spelt bread with peanut butter.
Now that you know the importance of breakfast and these simple tips to keep you energy in the morning without resorting to snacking, practice them and start the day with a healthy, rich and balanced breakfast!