The benefits of Sweet Potatoes for the health
Sweet potato, also known as batatas, it’s a vegetable that belongs to the potato family. It’s highly appreciated due to it’s sweet taste and nutritional value. Nowadays it’s more and more usual to find this type of potato in different healthy recipes because it’s considered one of the basic foods of a healthy and balanced diet.
Properties and Benefits of sweet potatoes for the health
Sweet potato is a food rich in carbohydrates, proteins, antioxidant vitamins and essential minerals. It helps reduce the risk of infections and provides physical and mental energy.
- It contains folic acid – That’s the reason why it is highly recommended to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Source of vitamins – It contains vitamins A, C, E and in less quantity B1, B2, B5 y B6.
- Minerals – It’s rich in minerals as potassium, manganese, phosphorus, sodium, calcium, copper, calcium and iron. It’s the perfect food for people whith anaemia and low iron levels.
- It’s a powerful antioxidant – It’s characterized by its high levels of flavonoids and beta – carotene so it helps fight against stress and the formation of free radicals.
- It’s easily asimilable and it comes to the stomach as a soft mush so it helps people with digestic problems, ulcers and intestinal diseases.
- It’s low in calories which makes it perfect for vegan diets.
- Helps the immune system – Through the antibodies formation, red and white blood cells.
- It’s beneficial for the bones, nails, hair formations and also for the sight due to its high levels of vitamins A,C,E and carotens.
Its only disadvantage is the high level of oxalates so it’s not recommended for people who suffer bone problems or chronic problems because it interferes in the calcium absorption.
It has a sweet flavour and a soft texture so it’s a food that kids love. It’s eaten as potatoes, so can never be eaten uncooked. Normally the skin is removed and it’s cooked or roasted becoming the perfect garnish. It’s important to choose sweet potatoes without any damages in the skin because although it can be removed, it affects to flavour. It should be stored in dry places where they can endure for a week.
Now you know all the benefits of sweet potatoes for the health, don’t forget to add it to your shopping list!
We will post a recipe of this complete super food very soon!