Summer Strawberry Porridge
The nutrition expert Melanie Waxman has shared this delicious summer porridge to start the day energised and nourished! It will keep your blood sugar levels balanced, avoiding feeling fatigued, lacking concentration and causing weight-gain.
Give this delicious and easy recipe a try!
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ½ cup barley flakes
- ½ cup bulgur
- 3 cups spring water
- 1 cup grain or nut milk
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 chopped walnuts
- Strawberries finely sliced
- Drizzle of maple syrup optional
- Lightly toast the oatmeal, barley and bulgur in a dry skillet for a few minutes.
- Place the water and sea salt into a pan and bring to a boil on a medium flame.
- Add the toasted grains and return to a simmer.
- Cook 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the vanilla, grated zucchini, chia seeds, and grain or nut milk. You can also add water instead of the milk.
- Simmer another 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water or milk if you prefer a thinner texture.
- Serve garnished with chopped walnuts, cinnamon, strawberries and a drizzle of maple or rice syrup.