Spring detox recipes to cleanse the liver
Melanie Waxman, nutritional expert at SHA Wellness Clinic, has created easy and cleansing recipes perfect for a spring detox. They detoxify the liver, reduce inflammation in the body and promote weight-loss.
Light Lemon Broth
A light, uplifting soup, which is great for cleansing the liver and relaxing the nervous system.
- 1 cup chinese cabbage rinsed and shredded
- 3 scallions rinsed and finely sliced
- 1 shiitake rinsed, soaked and sliced
- 1 sheet nori toasted and cut into strips
- 1 inch strip kombu rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons shoyu
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 4 cups spring water
- Lemon slices
- Sea salt to taste
- Place the water, kombu and shiitake in a pan. Bring to a boil on a medium flame. Remove the kombu and add a pinch of sea salt.
- Season with shoyu and mirin and add the Chinese cabbage and scallions.
- Cook on a low flame for about 3 minutes.
- Serve garnished with lemon slices and strips of toasted nori.
Dark leafy greens have cleansing properties for the liver. Enjoy this spring salad with an added burst of liver cleansing green apple and lemon.
- 1 bunch watercress or other greens sliced
- 1/2 granny smith apple finely sliced
- 5 shiitake finely sliced
- 2 cups daikon finely sliced into matchsticks
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi vinegar
- I teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange rind
- 1/2 cup spring water
- 1 teaspoon shoyu
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- Sea salt to taste
- Place the daikon on a plate. Mix with a little sea salt. Place another plate and weight on top of the daikon.
- Leave for about 15 minutes.
- Place the water, shiitake, shoyu, orange rind and mirin in a pan. Cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add the greens and simmer another minute. Remove and place on a serving dish.
- Grind the sesame seeds to a fine powder and add the umeboshi vinegar and lemon juice.
- Add the pressed daikon, sliced apple and sesame seed dressing to the greens.
- Toss gently and serve.
Find out what other foods are recommended during a spring detox!