How to find the Acid/Alkaline balance?
Blood PH must remain constant with the aim of allowing multiple metabolic functions that make life possible. For that reason, the organism has to counteract tendencies towards acidity or alkalinity by regulatory mechanisms.
When these regulatory mechanisms are insufficient or ineffective acidosis occurs. It is not that blood becomes acid, but the alkaline reservation decreases, especially the calcium in the bones, with all the imbalances that this can cause.
What causes acidosis?
- Causes for acidosis can be found in an inability of the kidney to eliminate acids, especially uric acid
- A pulmonary inability to eliminate carbon dioxide
- Hepatic or metabolic disorders
- Diets with excess acids that are not metabolized or predominance of acidifying foods
- Intestinal Fermentation
Which alterations cause acidosis in the organism?
There are many disorders that not eliminated acid substances can cause, such as tissue irritation, painful swellings and wounds on mucous membranes, burning urination, sweat acid that chaps skin, demineralization, hypofunction of endocrine glands, decreased immunity, deposit formation, nervous and emotional imbalances, general weakness.
Which are the symptoms of acidosis?
Among all the symptoms of acidosis, the most frequent are the demineralization that the organism suffers trying to neutralize acids.
Also: chronic fatigue, swollen gums, dull hair, dry skin, cracked nails, cramps and muscle spasms.
How to eliminate acids from the organism and find the Acid/Alkaline balance?
- Oxygenating the lungs with walks and respiratory exercises is recommended.
- Helping the kidneys to eliminate through ginger compresses and hyper thermal baths.
- Through the skin with sauna and steam bath sessions.
- It is very important also to plan an alkalizing diet rich in vegetables and seaweeds and poor in sugar, meat and fats. Acidifying foods are those that leave residue: they are normally foods rich in proteins and fats, like meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, bakery or refined cereals.
- Vegetables are highly recommended, especially root vegetables as carrots, parsnip, burdock, daikon, radish, as well as leafy greens. It is recommended to avoid tomatoes, aubergines and peppers due to their great acidifying effect.
- Introducing seaweeds like Kombu, Wakame, Hijiki, Arame, Nori…
- Using powerful alkalizing foods such as Umeboshi plums, as long as the condition of the person tolerates it, or Japanese teas like Bancha or Kukicha.
- Concerning fruits, they have acids that are metabolized by vital people when it is hot. On the contrary, less vital people who are less resistant to cold and who tend to get tired easily, have some difficulties to metabolize and eliminate these acids.
- The best time of the day to eat fruit will be 5pm. Fruit should be eaten especially during summer time. The quantity depends of the person’s vitality.