Healthy Detox Ideas
Our nutritional expert, Melanie Waxman, gives us very good tips to detox our body in a healthy and natural way.
These days, the latest dietary fad is to adopt specific detox diets and supplements that claim to eliminate toxins and promote weight loss. However, our body has its own, super efficient detoxification system and it is more important to understand how to enhance this process. Detoxification starts in the liver but the kidneys, lungs, lymph, skin, and gut also play an important role.
A healthy body naturally detoxes on a daily basis. Certain foods, air pollution, smoking, alcohol, and medication, can overwhelm this process. As a result, the liver becomes sluggish, the metabolism slows down and we start to feel tired, gain weight, retain fluids, and experience bloating. A toxic overload can also lead to food intolerances, skin problems, brain fog, and low grade infections.
The food we eat and simple natural practices are the key to keep our system working smoothly.
Here are some easy detox suggestions to keep our body in tip top shape:
- Choose organic foods especially fresh vegetables and fruits. Non organic produce can contain as many as 170 different pesticides which are extremely tough on all the major organs. In order to help the body detox naturally we must minimize those foods that increase the toxic load- sugar, sodas, trans fats, gluten, dairy, processed foods, refined carbs, coffee, alcohol, and saturated fats.
- Include anti-inflammatory foods such as almonds, walnuts, flax and chia seeds (rich in omega 3), leafy greens, shiitake mushrooms, radishes, celery, cinnamon, berries, ginger, turmeric, miso, and garlic.Chlorella, seaweeds, and cilantro are especially good for detoxing heavy metals, and pesticides so make sure to include them in your regular meals. Beans and whole grains are a great source of soluble and insoluble fiber as well as a variety of amino acids. They help the excretion and elimination process.
- Nourish the liver with fresh herbs, dandelion greens, milk thistle, fermented foods, green apples, apple cider vinegar, leafy greens, green tea, and fresh lemon juice.
- Eat less. It is one of the best ways to naturally detox. Cut back on your portions.
- Spend time outdoors around trees and water. Allow oxygen to circulate more fully through the system. Transform stress into positive emotions.
- Use a hot, damp towel or mitt to scrub your skin and remove toxins, increase circulation and stimulate the metabolism.Our skin is capable of removing heavy metals like arsenic, lead and mercury through sweating. Find ways to increase pespiration. Enjoy a sauna or take a hot (Bikram) yoga class.
- Drink up to 2 litres of water a day. You can include herbal teas and infusions as part of your fluid intake.
- Minimize chemical-based household cleaners and personal health care products – shampoos, skin care, deodorants, and toothpastes. Find natural alternatives.
- Get a good nights sleep to naturally detox any toxic byproducts that have accumulated during the day.
- Exercise on a daily basis to reduce inflammation, support the detoxification process and protect from disease. Include stretching as it is one of the best ways to detox the body.