Foods to detox the liver
The liver is an organ that performs many crucial functions in the body, that’s why, it’s important to take care of it. It’s a detoxifying organ that helps the body get rid of toxins and harmful substances. Whilst the liver carries out the task of removing toxic waste on a daily basis, it’s also important to assist this process through the food we ingest. For those who don’t lead a very healthy lifestyle or have overdone it over the holidays, the liver will need help detoxing. Even if you eat healthily and don’t have many vices, it’s always beneficial to eat foods that naturally detox the liver.
These are the foods that help detox the liver:
- Parsley: either add to salads, main dishes or make a fresh parsley tea by boiling parsley leaves in water.
- Garlic: add it to your savoury dishes and for those who are a bit more adventurous, you can eat it raw. Grate some into your morning lemon water in the morning (the lemon gets rid of the garlicy smell in the breath).
- Leafy greens: perfect to add to salads, smoothies, soups and savoury dishes.
- Beetroot: you can add it to salads, make a juice (apple, carrot and beetroot is a great combo!) or cook it. Try this tasty cold beetroot cream soup!
- Green tea: sip on this tea in the morning or as a mid-morning/afternoon hydrating drink.
- Avocados: add to smoothies, salads, toast, main dishes or make guacamole!
- Walnuts: perfect snack to fuel your brain! You can also add them to salads, make nut butters or add to smoothie bowls.
- Turmeric: add to morning lemon water, teas, savoury dishes and soups.
- Chlorella: can be consumed in tablets or added to smoothies in its powdered form. Try this delicious smoothie recipe!
- Spirulina: can be consumed in tables or added to smoothies in its powdered form.
All of these foods are easily accessible and inexpensive. Add them to your daily diet and you’ll not only detox your liver, but also you’ll boost your immune system and energy levels. Time to detox!