Farro Risotto with Walnut Sauce
Our nutrition expert, Melanie Waxman, has shared a squash, kale, mushroom and farro risotto with walnut sauce recipe that will benefit your immune system and strengthen your heart.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup farro risotto, soaked overnight in
- 2 cups water
- 6 cm piece of rinsed kombu
- 1 small diced onion
- 3 or 4 cups of water
- 2 cups butternut squash cut into small chunks
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice and zest of a lemon
- Sea salt
- ½ cup walnuts
- Finely chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Cover walnuts with warm water and leave to soak overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees ºF (~220 ºC).
- Place squash chunks in a bowl, toss with olive oil, chopped rosemary, and a generous pinch of sea salt.
- Place the mixture on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until tender.
While the squash is roasting, begin cooking the risotto:
- Strain the farro. You can save the soaking water and use as part of the water for cooking the farro.
- Place olive oil into a pan and warm. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the farro and mix through.
- Add kombu seaweed and a pinch of sea salt.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to the boíl. Reduce to simmer, stirring frequently until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add another ½ cup of water and continue to cook, stirring frequently. Repeat this step until the farro is tender and cooked, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the kombu seaweed.
- For the walnut sauce, place walnuts, water, lemon juice and zest, garlic, and a ¼ teaspoon of sea salt into a blender. Blend to a smooth creamy sauce and set aside.
- Warm a skillet and add olive oil. Add mushrooms and sea salt. Sauté for a minute or two, and then add chopped kale. Sauté until the kale is wilted.
- Remove from heat.
Assemble the risotto:
- Add walnut sauce, mushrooms, kale and ¾ of the roasted squash to the cooked farro and mix well. Warm through and let cook for a few minutes to blend the flavours.
- Serve in big, individual bowls garnished with the remaining squash, chopped parsley, lemon wedges and black pepper.