Detox your mind!
Detox is probably the number one most used word in this growing world of wellness. But, when we think about detoxing, we think about our body, not our mind. Why would we need to detox your mind? Just like our bodies are exposed to a wide array of toxins, through the food we eat and the air we breathe, our minds are also over exposed to stimuli, living in the era of information technology. We are constantly being bombarded with information, through the devices we use on a daily basis, both in our professional lives and personal lives. This causes our minds to work non-stop. In fact, it can cause us to over indulge, as the addictive effects technological devices have in our lives, can lead us to always look out for some sort of entertainment.
The speed at which information technology has grown sometimes makes it hard to even grasp the effect it is having on our health and wellbeing. But, more and more we can see, that not only does our body need to detox to reset itself and return to its prime state, but our mind needs a detox too, urgently.
One of the remarkable capabilities our body has is the ability to adapt very quickly to the lifestyle we live, up to a point where it no longer is sustainable. This has both a good and a bad side. The bad side is that you may not be aware of the symptoms or signs that your body is giving you to stop for a second and change your habits.
Want to know whether you’re in need of a mental detox?
- Do you constantly check your phone or computer, even though you were on it just a few minutes ago?
- Do you need your electronic devices to entertain you and find that you can’t be entertained otherwise?
- Do you find it hard to concentrate and focus on one thing?
- Is your mind feeling cluttered?
- Do you get anxiety when you don’t have your phone with you?
Just answering yes to one of these questions can already be a sign that you need a mental detox.
What are the benefits of detoxing your mind?
- Mental and emotional stability, allowing you to be more centred and balanced.
- Ability to live in the present and enjoy the moment.
- Reduce stress, therefore, improving both your mental and physical health. Did you know that stress could cause weight-gain and weaken your immune system?
- Achieve a better work-life balance.
How to detox your mind:
- Set aside at least 1 hour of your day without using any digital devices and disconnecting. This can be done by exercising, taking a walk, reading, doing a creative activity, meeting up with a friend, etc.
- Meditation is a great tool to detox the mind. It’s about focusing on the present, getting in touch with your body and allowing your mind to disconnect.
- Turn off all your digital devices at least 1 hour before going to sleep.
- If you feel like you really need time off to disconnect your mind, get in touch with yourself and regain your health and vitality, treating yourself to a health programme at SHA Wellness Clinic might be just what you need!
At SHA, we define health as being the balance between the mind, soul and body. These three have to work as a triangle and can’t be seen as separate parts. That’s why, it’s not only about detoxing your body, but also your mind, and by doing so, you’re detoxing your soul as well.