Chilled Soba Noodles Recipe
This is a great dish for hot weather because it is very refreshing and at the same time gives you lots of energy.
1 packet soba noodles cooked
4 cups spring water
2 inch strip kombu
1 shiitake rinsed
2 tablespoons bonito flakes (optional)
3 tablespoons shoyu
1 tablespoon mirin
1 sheet toasted nori cut into thin strips
2 spring onions washed and finely sliced
2 teaspoons wasabi powder
1) Place the shiitake, kombu and water in a pan.
2) Bring to a boil on a medium flame.
3) Remove the shiitake and kombu. They can be saved for other dishes.
(The next step can be missed for vegans)
4) Add the bonito flakes to the broth and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove the flakes with a skimmer.
5) Add the sea salt, shoyu and mirin and turn off the flame.
6) Mix gently.
7) Place the broth into a bowl.
8) Leave to cool and then place the broth to chill in a refrigerator.
9) Mix the wasabi with a few drops of water to form a thick paste. Cover with a plate until serving.
– Rinse the soba noodles and place on individual plates.
– Put the chilled broth into small soup bowls and garnish with the toasted nori and scallions.
– Add the wasabi to taste. This is used as a dipping broth for the noodles.
– Dip the noodles into the broth and enjoy