Benefits of Quinoa
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa or quinoa is a pseudocereal produced from ancient times in the Andes: currently Bolivia and Peru, world’s leading producers of Quinoa. It is also produced in countries such as Ecuador, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, and the United States. Quinoa belongs to the Chenopodiaceae family (like spinach) but is usually compared to cereals for its composition and the way of cooking.
How is it cooked?
Quinoa takes two parts of water or broth for a portion of grain to be cooked. It is cooked over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until the grain becomes transparent. I also recommend soaking the grain for 15 mins to an hour before cooking.
The perfect cooking time is reached when every grain of quinoa has doubled in size and releases its white seed. Best served immediately to keep its flavor and nutritional value.
Benefits of Quinoa
Here are some health benefits of this super food.
- Quinoa is gluten free and has twice as much protein as brown rice or barley. It actually contains 11 amino acids which makes it a complete protein. It is also a good source of iron, manganese, and magnesium.
- Quinoa is much higher in fiber than most grains, which can relieve constipation, and lower cholesterol and glucose levels. The fiber also prevents heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Quinoa is good for weight loss programs as it makes you feel full for longer. It is low on the glycemic index yet still relatively high in carbohydrates. Quinoa can also improve metabolic health which keeps blood sugar and triglyceride levels low.
- Quinoa is naturally free of gluten and can increase the antioxidant and nutrient value of a gluten-free diet. It contains flavornoids which have anti-inflammatory, anti viral, anti-cáncer and anti-depressant effects.
- Quinoa is quick and easy to cook, taking only 20 minutes. It can be combined with many different ingredients such as vegetables, beans, lemon, ginger, and other seasonings. Quinoa has a wonderful, unique flavor and can be easily incorporated into your diet.
Quinoa and macrobiotic diet
Grain is the base of the macrobiotic diet which recommends a daily consumption of cereals and whole grains. For that reason and for all its benefits, quinoa is perfect if you follow this kind of diet.
Where to find Quinoa?
It’s still not available at every supermarket, but you can always find it on Bio markets, specialized shops or herbalists.
We aim you to try and introduce the benefits of quinoa in your diet as soon as possible!