Amaranth recipe: Amaranth salad with vegetables
As every Thursday, we bring a healthy recipe to our SHA Magazine. Today’s healthy recipe is made by the favorite food for many athletes and we talked about in an old post due to its amazing properties for health. This is amaranth, the main source of protein of Aztecs, Mayas and Incas, and one of the today’s richest and nutritious foods of the Mexican cuisine. Enjoy this simple and delicious amaranth recipe and dare to include a Superfood to your culinary routine!
Ingredients (6 servings)
- Amaranth – 2 ½ cups
- Avocado – 3 pieces cut into small cubes
- Carrots – 2 pieces finely grated
- Coriander – 1 handful of chopped leaves
- Lettuce – 1 piece
- Radishes – 6 pieces thinly sliced
- Arugula – ½ bunch
- Lemon – ½ cup of squeezed juice
- Extra Virgin Oil – 6 tablespoons
- Dijon mustard – 1 tablespoon
- Palm honey – 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper
- Place the amaranth in a bowl and wash it with water. Filter ir carefully to avoid loss of grains.
- Pour the amaranth in a big pot. Add 2,5 liters of cold water, add salt and let it boil over low heat for 30 minutes or until the corn is tender.
- Filter it with a strainer and wait.
- Mix the lemon juice, the mustard and the palm honey in a bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, and olive oil and beat until blended.
- Use another bowl to place the carrot, culantro and radishes. Mix and season it with the dressing. Add the avocado carefully so it won’t fall apart.
- Place the amaranth with the rest of ingredients and decorate with the lettuce leaves.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this healthy and nutritious amaranth recipe with which you will be like a real host to your guests!