6 Tips to Improve Sleep
Our Director of the Wellness Area, shares some tips to sleep better at night!
Sleep is one of the most important remedies for optimal health as it boosts the immune system, keeps hormone levels balanced, helps maintain a healthy weight, improves mood and energy levels and prevents premature aging. It is a vital restorative mechanism that keeps us healthy. In fact, thanks to a study conducted by the Journal of Sleep Research, it has been proven that sleeping less than 5 hours a day increases your mortality rate by 65%.
However, whilst many of us would like to aim to sleep more than 6 hours, many people have trouble sleeping or suffer from sleeping disorders such as insomnia, which makes it hard to get the sufficient sleep our body needs to work optimally. That’s why, we’ve shared natural ways to improve the quality of your sleep!
- Do some light exercise a few hours before going to bed, but nothing too intense, as that will wake you up again. A walk or a yoga class would be perfect.
- Listen to your body, and avoid going to bed hungry or thirsty because that could wake you up in the middle of the night or stop you from sleeping well. You should also keep in mind that if you’re going to eat dinner, there should be at least 2 hours between the time you eat and the time you go to bed, and you should stop drinking liquids an hour before going to bed.
- Remember that your dinner should be light. If you can, eat foods rich in tryptophan, as this can help you fall asleep more easily.
- Avoid coffee, tobacco, and alcohol before going to bed. They alter your nervous system and nearly guarantee that you’ll wake up in the middle of the night.
- Establish a routine with a set time to go to bed and wake up. Your body will get used to it.
- If you can’t fall asleep within 15 minutes of going to bed, do a short stretching session or some breathing exercises on a mat. Then, try falling asleep again.
By following these healthy tips for better sleep, you’ll notice that you’ll rest better and feel more energised and balanced throughout the day!
If you suffer from sleep disorders, we recommend our Sleep Recovery Programme at SHA Wellness Clinic.