6 natural tips to improve sleep
Sleep is one of the most important remedies for optimal health as it boosts the immune system, keeps hormone levels balanced, helps maintain a healthy weight, improves mood and energy levels and prevents premature aging. It is a vital restorative mechanism that keeps us healthy. In fact, thanks to a study conducted by the Journal of Sleep Research, it has been proven that sleeping less than 5 hours a day increases your mortality rate by 65%.
However, whilst many of us would like to aim to sleep more than 6 hours, many people have trouble sleeping or suffer from sleeping disorders such as insomnia, which makes it hard to get the sufficient sleep our body needs to work optimally. That’s why, we’ve shared natural ways to improve the quality of your sleep!
- Avoid technology before bed. Nowadays, we have the unhealthy habit of using our mobile phone or laptop before going to sleep, and this is actually one of the worst things you can do to your circadian rhythm. The blue light emitted through the screen causes our melatonin (the sleep hormone) levels to decrease, making us feel more awake. Build a calming night-time routine that doesn’t disrupt your sleep cycle by reading a book before going to bed.
- Eat foods that increase melatonin production, helping you sleep better and deeper, such as oats, almonds, cacao and banana.
- Create a calming bedtime ritual. Add some lavender oil into a diffusor or on your pillow to inhale the relaxing effects of the herb. Lavender is one of the most effective essential oils to promote relaxation.
- Build a bedtime schedule. Our body works best when we stick to a routine. Aim to wake up and go to bed at the same time everyday, to balance your hormone levels and allow your body to know when it’s time to go to sleep.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and sugar several hours before going to bed, as they activate the stress hormone, cortisol, and prevent you from sleeping well.
- Avoid heavy meals that are hard to digest, as they will disrupt your sleep cycle.
By following these healthy tips for better sleep, you’ll notice that you’ll rest better and feel more energised and balanced throughout the day!
If you suffer from sleep disorders, we recommend our Sleep Recovery Programme at SHA Wellness Clinic.