6 foods to boost your mood and energy naturally
The link between our mood and what we eat is often-overlooked, however, our gut is known as our second brain as it contains over 1 million neurons lining our digestive system, filled with important neurotransmitters, influencing our mood and our energy. In fact, 95% of serotonin, the happiness hormone, is produced in the gut!
What we eat definitely affects the way we feel. It can either nourish us with bountiful energy, or deplete us, leaving us feeling lethargic and in a bad mood. To avoid this from happening, we have to make sure we’re nourishing our gut properly and avoiding foods that are detrimental to it, like sugar, alcohol and coffee.
There are several foods that are known for their mood-boosting qualities. These are the ones you should include in your diet on a daily basis, to make sure you’re feeling your best, both mood and energy wise.
Mood & energy boosting foods:
- Cacao is considered to be the food of the gods, as it has a very high nutritional content. It contains an amino acid called tryptophan which boosts mood, energy and improves sleep. Tip: add a tablespoon to your smoothies, porridge, chia pudding or make a healthy dairy-free chocolate milk.
- Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which influence energy production, brain activity and circulation. Healthy fats influence our mood and brainpower, in fact, a diet poor in healthy fats can lead to depression and anxiety.
- Kale is high in vitamins and essential minerals like copper, potassium, iron and phosphorus that boost mood and energy. It’s best to eat it in its raw form, in order to benefit from all its vibrant nutrients. Tip: Add it to salads with a dash of olive oil, steam it or add it to smoothies.
- Goji berries have been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine to increase energy and enhance the release of mood-boosting hormones. It has a positive effect on the body as it helps it cope with stress, boosts mood and improves memory.
- Lentils are both rich in protein and iron, both important for mood and energy levels. A deficiency in iron can really play on your energy and concentration levels, as well as mood.
- Maca builds resilience and balances the body’s endocrine system (hormones!), supporting natural energy and vitality. Tip: Add a tablespoon into your smoothies, porridge or chia pudding.
As you can see, these are everyday foods that are easy to include in your diet. You’ll notice that they’ll improve your energy levels, mood, concentration and sleep.
What better excuse to eat these delicious foods on a daily basis?